What is a Facebook like?
On Facebook, you will have probably come across the term “Like”. However, there are page likes and post likes. Here we explain what they both are, why they are important, and how you can use them to measure the success of your Facebook marketing strategy. Liking a page means that you are connecting to that page. Liking a post from a friend or company means that you are letting them know that you engaged with that particular post without the need to leave a comment. This is a subtle difference but it is important to differentiate between the two. An individual does not need to like your page in order to like a post. However, they need to like your page to see future posts from your business. Once someone likes a Facebook page, they will start to see your posts on their news feed and will also be able to see if you add any stories to your page as well. Both page likes and post likes to influence the number of people that will see your future posts, therefore they are both important figures to keep an eye on.
Although it is great to have people like your posts as it shows they found the content interesting and engaging, you need to try and convince them to like your page. This will mean they will automatically see your future content as well.
How to get more Facebook page likes.
Although there is no magic button to get more followers, there are some things you can put in place to encourage people to follow you.
- If you have an email database, always share your social media profiles there. Let them know that you are on social media, where they can find your page, and remind them to follow you so that they can stay up to date with your business.
- Like people from your company page. You do not want to follow too many people however it is a great way to network and get your name out there. Follow key customers, strategic partners, and other people in your professional network. More often than not, if you start following someone, they are likely to follow you back.
- What is it in for them? If you give them a reason to like your page (such as first glimpses of new product lines, access to special offers, or news about upcoming events) they may be more tempted to like your page.
- Run a competition- Having a social media competition can be a great way to boost your page likes. Although you cannot force people to like your page to enter the competition, it is still an effective way to increase your exposure. If the competition is good, people will share your post which will increase its visibility, hopefully resulting in more profile visits and page likes.
- Promote your Facebook page on your website, in-store, in print, and on any other marketing efforts, you are undertaking.
- Run an ad campaign- you can pay to have an ad campaign that promotes your page by targeting your ideal demographic.
Facebook page likes and post likes are both great metrics to focus on as they directly influence the number of people that see your page and what you have to say. It is important to understand the differences and what actions you can put in place to increase your likes.
Sign up to our newsletter
Get regular hints, tips and updates on internet marketing and web design.